There are at least 10 reasons why you should not trust yourself.
1. We don't stop to really think. When you stop and think about it, we rarely stop to think about most things. Every thought that comes into our head needs to be checked before acting on.
2. We all have blind spots. We must understand that our own thoughts will rarely betray us. Most of the time our thoughts are produced to protect our sense ego and worldview.
4. We have background biases. This isn't necessarily a bad thing it is just a reality thing. Race, culture, gender, socioeconomic status, religious background, and the time we live in greatly influence the way we think. Be ware of those biases.
5. We jump to conclusion. Right?
6. We get trapped by categories. We humans are designed to put everything in nice categories. This is like this. That is like that. It keeps our brains from working overtime. Just be cautious that your categories are not getting in the way of a new way of thinking.
7. We miss the big picture. None of us are God so none of us will ever have "the" big picture. But we can certainly have a bigger picture if we dare too and if can overcome the next thought blocker.
8. We want to see what we want to see. We are the creators of our own reality. Facts that do not conform to that reality are easily dismissed. But always to our hurt. Be willing to have an "open mind."
9. We don't have all the information. See 6.
10. We aren't really that smart. Despite what we think, we aren't really as smart as we think.
These are my reasons we can't believe everything we think. Well, they are really mine. I borrowed them from a number of sources because, I'm not really that smart.
What do you think?